Monday, July 11, 2011

Crumpets? Nah. SCONES!

I have a deep pitted love for Scones... don't ask me why but they are amazing to me.

I have made them for a long time but I have yet to make them with my freshly ground whole wheat flour.

So here we goooooo...



Flour, mix of sucanat and demerara sugar (brown and granular sugar), baking powder, baking soda and salt


Out comes the trusty pastry cutter and a bit of butter.... smush, chop, push...


Today's scones are blueberry... I chop mine up... up to you. I put in as much as I think looks like what I would want.


Then comes eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.  Pastry cut yourself away!


So when I finished (all flour absorbed) this is what it looked like


I tried to do small bits so that they would be "personal" size... I "personally" eat a huge amount of scones.


They didn't turn out right.  They were too runny and thus I add more flour and a tinsy bit of sugar.


So this is the what the batch looked like after it was fixed.  Texture when using the pastry cutter is almost crumbly.


Again I made mine pretty small so that it would be "personal" size ;P


And here is the second batch.  I took a brush across the top of the scones with a bit of water and then topped them with demerara (granular sugar)



Next step: eat them and enjoy.  They are fantastic with devonshire cream... but that wasn't in the budget.

The whole thing takes about 25 for you to make it up and cook off one batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment