Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bread: fresh ground whole grain wheat

I am a bread fiend.  I love bread in almost every form.  I went on a raw diet for 2 weeks to do a detox and 


I still keep a high raw fruit and veggie intake but during those two weeks the one thing I really really desperately  missed was bread


That said I like to make my own bread.  I get it fresh and can make it with all different ingredients in it (like fresh parsley and aged cheddar or Garlic and Basil).  It really isn't hard or time consuming.  I make fresh ground whole wheat from my local grain mill (The Grain  Mill at Wake Forest).  This particular recipie calls for something like 7 cups of wheat, .25 cup of gluten, 2 Tablespoons of yeast and I wanna say something 
like a teaspoon of salt and 3 or 4 cups of warm water.  You mix all the dry and then the water.  make sure it is all mixed in but no need to kneed.  Let it sit till it doubles (30-60min) then you refrigerate and it makes about 3 decent size loafs.  

Like I said before I like to make mine different each time so I add different ingredients.

Then 450 on a baking stone (if you have one) for 30-35 (if you don't have a baking stone then it will be a little longer.

Let it rest for a few minutes and then you get great bread!



No comments:

Post a Comment